Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fill Up That Bin!

Ok, so you've got your new 65 gallon recycle bin. Have you filled it up yet? I mean, have you really filled it up? Are you maximizing the recycle potential of your trash?

The most recent issue of Hamilton County Solid Waste & Recycling's newsletter "WasteLine" has Amberley Village falling out of the top 10 municipalities for recycling. The truth is, our recycling rate stayed almost the same, but our solid waste output increased.

As I drive around Amberley on Friday's, I notice a lot of recyclable items stacked at the curb alongside the bins. Cardboard boxes, for example, are recyclable if you break them down and put them in the new, larger bin. In my household, I've become a super recycler -- empty toilet paper, paper towel, or gift wrap tubes go into the bin. Empty tissue boxes also go into the bin. In fact, I've been guilty of pulling recyclable items out of the trash and putting them where they belong -- in the recycle bin. If you're not sure what can be recycled, clicke HERE for a list.

 Now I'll get off my (recyclable, cardboard) soapbox and talk about something else. Trash in the streets. This usually occurs just after trash day, but I have a favor to ask. We all need to take care of our community. If you see that something from your garbage has blown out of the can, or for some reason not made it into the truck, please pick it up and dispose of it. If you see someone has thrown a beer can into your yard over the night, please pick it up and recycle it. I always ask myself, if I don't pick it up, who will?  All of us working collectively can resolve this issue and go far to keeping Amberley the beautiful community that we love. 




4 comments:

  1. The new bins have made for less trash in my street. No paper blowing out of red bins now...
    Cindy Barr
    Longmeadow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my new recycling bin- we had already bought one but now we can recycle twice as much! My biggest pet peeve is when people don't recycle... It's so easy! I'm sure my family has grown tired of me picking cans and bottles out of their trash to take home and recycle! They might think I am crazy but they are the crazy ones for filling up our landfills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only issue I see is the size of the bin. My parents are in their 80s and can't move the bin out to the street. They never had a problem with the smaller bin. It would be nice to have a smaller, easier to move size for those people who can't move the large container.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Residents can still use the small red bins if they prefer. What's important is that we recycle.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous posts will not be published. Please include your real name. Thank you.